Founded today in 1867, Morehouse got its start in the basement of Springfield Baptist Church in Augusta, Ga., by Rev. William Jefferson White.
Starting as Augusta Institute, the establishment was created to educate black men for careers in ministry and teaching. The school moved to Atlanta’s Friendship Baptist Church in 1879 and changed its name to Atlanta Baptist Seminary. The seminary also moved at one point to a former Civil War battleground site in Atlanta By 1897, the institution had become Atlanta Baptist College.
In 1913, during the tenure of the College’s first African American president, John Hope, the College was renamed Morehouse College, in honor of Henry L. Morehouse, corresponding secretary of the National Baptist Home Missionary Society. (Source: Morehouse College & thehundred-seven.org )