Oxygen is expanding the network’s popular franchise and heading to Motown for Preachers of Detroit, set to premiere winter 2015. Meet cast member Bishop Charles Ellis!Follow @PraiseDetroit
Via Greater Grace – Bishop Charles H. Ellis III is the Senior Pastor of Greater Grace Temple in Detroit, Michigan, and is the Presiding Bishop of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (P.A.W.). At Greater Grace, he pastors nearly 6,000 and is known as a leader “with a heart for people.” The church is headquartered in its 36 million dollar ministry complex known as the “City of David,” named after the birthplace of Jesus Christ. The state of the art masterpiece includes a 4,000 seat auditorium, and an elegant banquet hall and conference center. Under Bishop Ellis’ leadership Greater Grace Temple now has over 300 ministries including the following, which extend beyond its religious mandate:
Over 100 Housing Units for seniors and families
- 2 Charter Schools (Grades K- 8)
- Montessori Day Care Center
- Print Shop
- Television & Recording Studios
- Travel Agency
- Funeral Home
These ministries positively impact the Detroit community where he is a respected clergyman and civic leader. Here are some of his honors and board appointments:
- “Distinguished Leader of the Year” (DTE Energy)
- “Brotherhood Award” (Booker T. Washington Business Association)
- “Top Ten African-American Leaders in Detroit to Watch” (Det. Free Press)
- “Black Alumni of the Year” (Wayne State University)
- “Michigan Pastor of the Year” (Southern Christian Leadership Conference)
- “Broadcaster of the Year” (Christian Television Network)
- Board of the Booker T. Washington Business Association
- Board member of the YMCA (Metropolitan Detroit)
- Board member of the Detroit Zoo
- Board member of the Sinai-Grace Hospital (Detroit)
- Board member of the David Ellis Academy Charter School
- Founder and President of the GGT Non-Profit Housing Corporation
In August 2010, the 1.3 million-member Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (P.A.W.) elected Bishop Ellis to to the office of Presiding Bishop, the highest position in the world’s oldest Apostolic organization. The P.A.W. has over 4000 churches in the U.S. and around the globe. Bishop Ellis brings the message of God’s love to a potential 50 million viewers across the nation on “The Word Network” and other TV and radio outlets.
“Creative” is the best way to describe the ministry. The ministry has become widely known for its “illustrated” sermons, which “dramatize” the gospel, and draw souls by the hundreds. At presentations of “The Whip, Hammer & Cross” and “To Hell and Back” as many as 500 or more are often drawn to the altar seeking salvation. Other efforts include “Football Camp” and “Willie Green’s Basketball Camp” where youth learn about football, basketball, and “life” from top professional players. The popular “Back To School Festival” gives youngsters a head start on school with free school supplies, free haircuts and more.
The Grace at the Park Free Concert at Chene Park was once known as the biggest free outdoor gospel event in Michigan, and featured national recording artists. That event has now progressed into our Block Party which includes the GGT Classic and New Car Show (where else would a church sponsor a car show—except Detroit?), fabulous food and tons of family fun.
The Summer Youth Job Training Program gives teenagers an “up-close and personal” view of the world of work. They spend six-weeks actually on the job learning workplace skills and how to conduct oneself in the job place. They also receive training in table etiquette and good manners.
Bishop Ellis has always pursued having a church that goes “beyond the walls,” in an on-going effort to touch lives with the love of God. It is also his feeling that Greater Grace Temple must have a positive and powerful impact on its community bringing hope and uplift in every way possible.
Bishop Ellis is a Business Administration graduate of Wayne State University with a major in Accounting. He also holds an honorary doctorate from Aenon Bible College. He is married to Crisette Michelle, and is the proud father of twp children: Kiera and Charles IV.
- Preachers Of L.A. Episode 5 ‘Prodigal Son’ Recap And Lesson
- Preachers Of L.A. Episode 4 ‘Honor Thy Father and Mother’ Recap And Lesson
- Preachers Of L.A Season 2 Episode 3 ‘Fallen Angels’ Recap And Lesson
- Preachers Of L.A Season 2 Episode 2: ‘Truth Be Told’ Recap And Lesson
- Preachers Of L.A Season 2 Episode 1 ‘Judge Not’ Recap And Lesson