Freedom Institute Set to Host 2017 Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall Saturday
DETROIT – Freedom Institute will host the 2017 Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall on Saturday, August 26, 2017 from 9 am to 3:30 pm at Fellowship Chapel located at 7707 W. Outer Drive in Detroit. This year’s town hall, “Detroit 50 Years Later: Where We Been? Where We At? Where we Going?,” will be comprised of two panel discussions.
The first panel discussion, will feature Professor Herb Boyd as the Keynote Speaker. Boyd is the author of, Black Detroit: A People’s History of Self Determination. This panel will be moderated by Detroit News Columnist and Host of Redline Radio Bankole Thompson. Featured panelists include:
· Rev. Daniel W. Aldridge, Author and Historian
· Keith Bennett, Program Director, Flip the Script
· Bishop Mbiyu Chui, Shrine of the Black Madonna
· Sheila Cockrel, Former Detroit City Councilmember, Wayne State University Instructor
· Dr. Curtis Ivory, Chancellor, Wayne County Community College District
· Shirley Stancato, President and CEO, New Detroit
· JoAnn Watson, Associate Professor, Wayne County Community College District
The second panel discussion, Millennials for the Movement, will feature Keynote Speaker Dr. Errol Henderson, Author, African Realism. This panel will be moderated by poet Jessica Care Moore, CEO, Moore Black Press. Panelists will include:
· Teferi Brent, Fellowship Chapel Men’s Christian Fellowship
· Andre Gilford, Black Lives Matter
· Tatiana Grant, CEO, Infused Detroit PR & Events and Flash Delivery
· Jamon Jordan, Historian
· Mary Sheffield, Detroit City Councilmember
· Charice “Etta Flyy” Thomas, Owner, Sweet Potato Sensations & Naturally Flyy Detroit
· Tommey Walker, CEO, Detroit vs. Everybody
· Donnell R. White, Executive Director, Detroit Branch NAACP
“Each year the Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall focuses on important topics for dialogue and discussion that have an impact on us here locally with national implications,” says Monica Anthony, Executive Director, Freedom Institute. “We want attendees to come out of the 2017 Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall with not only an understanding of what happened in 1967 but actionable steps for history not to repeat itself in Detroit and/or any other community that experienced riots and rebellion 50 years ago.”
7707 W. Outer Drive ● Detroit, MI 48235 ● (313) 347-2834 ● http://www.freeinsttitute.org
The Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall is free and open to the public. Lunch will be served, therefore, registration is required. ChemicoMays LLC serves as the Senior Corporate Sponsor and Wayne County Community College District as the Co-Sponsor for the 2017 Dr. Ron Walters National Town Hall. To register visit freeinstitute.org or call (313) 347-2834.
Freedom Institute is a 501©3 nonprofit organization for economic, social justice and people empowerment.
Also in News: