These Metro Detroit Ramps Will Be Closed Until Fall
It seems like there is always some sort of closure when hitting the roads of Michigan. And even more construction is heading your way. Specifically, I-696 is getting a way overdue makeover. Even on non-construction days, this interstate can become very congested. You may want to plan for your upcoming commutes.
The I-696 Restore the Reuther Rebuilding Michigan project could disrupt your commute through late Fall. It will require eastbound traffic to shift onto the shared westbound side from I-275 to US-24 (Telegraph Road).
During the traffic shift, several ramps will temporarily be closed through late fall according to the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). Those closed include the following:
- Northbound US-24 (Telegraph Road) ramp to eastbound I-696
- Eastbound I-696 ramp to American Drive
- Southbound Orchard Lake Road ramp eastbound I-696
- Northbound Orchard Lake Road ramp to westbound I-696
MDOT said once the shift is completed, there will be two lanes in each direction of I-696 sharing the westbound side through the end of 2023. Next year, all traffic will be shifted to the newly rebuilt eastbound side to reconstruct the westbound side. It may seem like a long project but at least it will be completed before the longwinded I-75 project that started in 2016.
How can you avoid construction during your commute? Navigating your way through detours.
- Northbound I-275 ramp and all M-5 ramps to eastbound I-696, use eastbound M-5 to eastbound M-102 (8 Mile Road) to northbound US-24 (Telegraph Road), then to eastbound I-696.
- Eastbound I-696 ramp to Orchard Lake Road, use northbound Novi Road to eastbound 12 Mile Road to southbound M-10, then to eastbound I-696.
- Orchard Lake ramps to eastbound I-696 will use northbound Orchard Lake Road to eastbound 12 Mile Road to southbound M-10, then to eastbound I-696.
- Southbound M-10 ramp and southbound Lahser Road ramp to eastbound I-696, use northbound Lahser Road ramp to eastbound I-696.
- Northbound US-24 (Telegraph Road) ramp to eastbound I-696 will use southbound M-10 to northbound Lahser Road, then to eastbound I-696.
- Eastbound I-696 ramp to American Drive will use southbound M-10 to southbound US-24 to westbound Franklin Road, then to American Drive.
- Northbound Orchard Lake ramp to westbound I-696 will use northbound Orchard Lake Road to westbound 12 Mile Road to southbound M-5, then to eastbound I-96.
If you need to take I-696 or one of its detours, allow extra drive time to your destination. More information about the project or how to better prepare for your commute can be found here.