Tips to Stay Safe on Michigan Water This Season
I personally love rivers. There’s something about watching the current and the constant flow of water that’s just relaxing and beautiful. Michigan has plenty of fantastic rivers. However, Michigan rivers can be deadly. You have to be very careful when venturing out, and you should follow certain safety guidelines. Hence, tips to stay safe on Michigan water are always a good thing.
The Newaygo County sheriff’s deputies have taken to social media to post some things people should do to stay safe on Michigan rivers this summer. Moreover, they’ve had to rescue people on their local rivers this season, which is why they decided to post a note about dos and don’ts on local rivers. I think that people assume rivers are safe, since land is so close by, whereas with some lakes, you can’t even see the shore. But, Michigan rivers can be deadly, especially if you can’t swim.
“This past weekend alone approximately 20 tubers were rescued from trees with several needing medical attention and being transported to a local hospital,” the Newaygo County sheriff’s deputies said on Facebook. “The river can be a fun and enjoyable trip, however can also turn tragic in the blink of an eye.” Also, they added that over the past two weekends, the Sheriff’s Office River Patrol, DNR and local Fire Departments had to rescue about 50 people from the river. I actually got stuck on a river last weekend and was scared we would have to be rescued, but it all worked out. Find my favorite Michigan day trips, including rivers, here.
Here are tips to stay safe on Michigan water from the Newaygo County sheriff’s deputies:
1. Know your limits – a large number of the people needing rescued advise us they that cannot swim.
2. Plan for weather – if there is a chance of severe weather, stay home.
3. Do not tie tubes together – If one gets tangled in the tree, they all get tangled.
4. Stay in the middle of the river and away from downed trees near the shore.
5. Keep hydrated – NOT with alcohol.
6. Lastly, know the length of the trip, some of these trip may take hours depending on the water flow levels. (The river is not a lazy river and does not go in a circle) Do not miss your destination.